OK, so I survived my adventure with the files and came home to mow the lawn. My baby girl is at daycare today so I'm trying to cram in as much as I possibly can! And what to my surprise did I find? I had an email from Stacey at Ray of Kindergarten Sunshine saying that she had nominated me for an award. How exciting is that? I feel so honored to be recognized for my thoughts and ideas. Thank you Stacey! She has nominated some other great blogs as well. Make sure that you head over to check them out!
Now onto the good stuff! The rules for receiving the award are as follows:
- Link back to the original nominator's website
- You must post 11 random things about yourself
- Answer the questions the nominator set for you
- Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate
- Nominate 5 - 11 blogs (with less than 200 followers) and link them in your post
11 random facts about me:
1. I did my student teaching in Macon, GA in an inner-city, Title 1 school. It was a completely different experience from small town Minnesota. I loved every minute of it!
2. My husband proposed to me on the 4th of July during the fireworks. When I said it was the perfect end to the perfect day he asked me if I wanted it to be even more perfect. I didn't know what he meant so I asked him if he was going to go and get me popcorn. His idea was much better!
3. I am allergic to cucumbers. Strange, I know...
4. I enjoy scrapbooking. I try to go on at least 1 or 2 weekend getaways each year. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it.
5. I have 2 best friends that are sisters. Heidi is a year older than I am and Lindsay is a year younger. We were just like sisters growing up and I miss them terribly when we are apart.
6. My husband and I have a little girl that is 20 months old. She is into EVERYTHING at this age but it is so much fun to watch her grow and learn new things. She is talking up a storm and absolutely adores our dogs. I think they kind of like her too!
7. I worked in the children's department of a library while I was in college. I debated changing my major to Library Sciences but decided that teaching was my true calling.
8. I grew up with my mom and my grandma. It was just the three of us and I wouldn't change it for the world. They have taught me to be respectful of everyone that I meet because you never know what that person's story is.
9. I am in the process of purging many things in my life. I have too many papers at school and way too many random items in my basement. If I don't need it, it is going! When the school year starts it really will be a fresh start.
10. I love to dance, however I am a terrible dancer. Thank goodness Kindergarten students don't judge! Even better, my daughter loves any type of music so we dance around together all the time. :)
11. My summer guilty pleasure is Big Brother. Does anyone else watch this? I have watched every season and I can't get enough!
Here are the answers to Stacey's questions:
1. How long have you been teaching?
This will be my 10th year in my current school district. I was in charge of the district's preschool program for 4 years and this will be my 6th year in Kindergarten.
2. Did you always want to be a teacher? If not, what did you want to do?
I have always wanted to be a teacher. In fact, when I was in Kindergarten I told my teacher that I wanted to be a teacher and a bus driver. That way I could pick the kids up, teach them and then take them home at the end of the day. Pretty sure I wouldn't survive as a bus driver... I'll stick with teaching! :)
3. What is your favorite thing about teaching?
There are so many things that I love, but my favorite thing is when a student finally gets it and they get so excited about what they have learned.
4. How long have you been blogging for?
Technically I started the blog last year, but I am just now getting serious about it!
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world, no expense spared, where would you go?
My Grandmother was quite the world traveler. She had been to every continent except Antarctica. I love looking at her pictures/slides and would love to travel like her someday. I would start with Ireland as my family is Irish and I would love to explore our heritage.
6. Do you have a favorite techie tool or any techie advice? if yes, what is it?
Oh boy, I have been experimenting with tons of new programs and apps. My new favorite app is AppsGoneFree and they have some great ones on there for primary students. It can be very hit or miss, but when you find a good one for free it is worth it!
7. What is your favorite dessert?
Birthday cake, wedding cake, cheesecake, ANY kind of cake!
8. What is your favorite movie of all time?
Any chick flick from my college years (Coyote Ugly, Save the Last Dance, etc.)
9. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving! I started hosting it when I was in college. Now my husband's family and my family come together each year to celebrate. I love that even though it is a lot of work when it is all done we can sit down and relax together.
10. Are you a dog person or a cat person?
Definitely a dog person. My hubby trains dogs as a part-time job. Love them! Here's a picture of my hubby and I with our dogs Skip and Star. Skip is the big one and Star is little one.
11. What was your favorite toy or doll from childhood?
I have a lot of dolls that my grandma gave me as I was growing up. I played with some of them and the others were "hands-off." My favorite doll was named Fallon and she had long brown hair that I would sit and brush all day long. I can't wait until I can give her to my daughter. I think I'll wait awhile because right now she drags her dolls around by their hair!
Now I need to ask 11 questions. Some might be repeats, but I have changed some of the others.
1. How long have you been teaching?
2. What is your favorite subject to teach? Why?
3. If you couldn't be a teacher, what other career would you pursue?
4. What is your favorite part of summer vacation?
5. Do you have a classroom theme?
6. How long have you been blogging?
7. What is your favorite food?
8. What is your favorite children's book?
9. What was your first job?
10. What is your favorite school related app or computer program to use?
11. What is your favorite non-school related app or computer program to use?
And now (drumroll please)... the 11 blogs that I have chosen to nominate for the Liebster Award are:
What are you waiting for... go check them out! :)